Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Movie Reviews: Red Riding Hood (2011)

Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) in Red Riding Hood

It is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood by Charles Perrault with the film being directed by Catherine Hardwicke, produced by Leonardo DiCaprio, the screenplay by David Leslie Johnson, and stars Amanda Seyfried in the title role with a release on March 11, 2011.

THE CAST

Amanda Seyfried as Valerie
Virginia Madsen as Suzette
Billy Burke as Cesaire
Julie Christie as Grandmother
Shiloh Fernandez as Peter
Gary Oldman as Father Solomon
Max Irons as Henry
Michael Shanks as Adrien Lazar
Quentin Bates as Henri Lazar
Christine Willes as Madame Lazar
Yolandi Hattingh Cook as Solomon's Daughter
Michael Hogan as The Reeve
Lukas Haas as Father August

SYNOPSIS

Valerie is a young woman torn between two men. She is in love with a brooding outsider, Peter, but her parents have arranged for her to marry the wealthy Henry. Seeing that Valerie doesn't want to lose him, Peter plans a run away for them when they learn that Valerie’s older sister has been killed by the werewolf. Hungry for revenge, the people call a werewolf hunter, Father Solomon to help kill the wolf. But Solomon’s arrival brings unintended consequences as he tells that the wolf takes human form by day, and could be any one of them. He also warns that a blood moon is coming, and if anyone is bitten by the wolf, they will become a werewolf themselves. As death rises each night, Valerie begins to suspect that the werewolf could be someone she loves. Valerie will soon discover that she has a unique connection to the beast–one that inexorably draws them together, making her both suspect…and bait.

TRAILER


MY THOUGHTS

First off I have to say... WOW. I apologize to Catherine Hardwicke for doubting her directorial skills. I was not expecting to be impressed by this  film at all. I knew that Leonardo DiCaprio was producing the film (which he did an awesome job at doing!), but I was more worried about the fact that this film would be dull and poorly acted like Twilight (2008). But I guess it's not the directors fault if the actors can't act... right? Anyway, I love Amanda Seyfried and felt that she was the best pick for the title role. She is and always has been a great actress to me. This film had me thinking thoughts like, Oh God... a Twilight wannabe, or is this gonna be like a 'What if Bella got with Jacob???' kind of thing? - which had me skeptical of the film (by the way, I think the Twilight Saga is great, but let's face it, Twilight (2008) sucked). And I'm not gonna lie, there were times when I thought some scenes were similar to Twilight, but come... don't most movies remind us of each other? So I decided I was going to see the film and not be a bias jerk like most. I was pleasantly surprised with the story and how it keeps you going. SPOILERS: The film first makes you think that the wolf is Peter, then Henry, then Grandmother, then Peter again, then other villagers, then Peter again, then your like "OK, it's definitely the Grandmother!" But no... it's Cesaire (Valerie's Father)! It was an amazing twist. Then Peter is unfortunately bitten by Cesaire before he and Valerie kill him and Peter leaves until he can control his werewolf abilities. The film closes with Valerie leaving her Grandmother's house and Peter (in werewolf form) coming around a tree. Valerie smiles at her love and the screen cuts to black (That scene was kind of Twilighty, but I didn't think about it until after the film was over). SPOILERS END. This film has been a major inspiration for me (since I'm writing my on version of Little Red Riding Hood, Lil' Red Ridin' Hoodie). I was so impressed to the point were if anyone wants to see it who hasn't, hit me up!

So, I give Red Riding Hood: ★★★★ 5 out of 5 Stars

"you're the devil!" "you're the devil's daughter!"

No comments:

Post a Comment