Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Movie Reviews: Snow White and the Huntsman

Kristen Stewart as Snow White in Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Snow White and the Huntsman is a remake of the classic German fairy tale Snow White by Brothers Grimm. The film was directed by Rupert Sanders and written by Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock, and Hossein Amini. It was released June 1, 2012.

THE CAST

Kristen Stewart as Snow White
Charlize Theron as Queen Ravenna
Chris Hemsworth as Eric
Sam Claflin as William
Lily Cole as Greta
Sam Spruell as Finn
Vincent Regan as Duke Hammond.
Noah Huntley as King Magnus
Liberty Ross as Queen Eleanor
Christopher Obi Ogugua as the voice of the Magic Mirror

MY THOUGHTS

OMG. This is hands down, the best Snow White installment I've seen so far. I was a fan of the 2001 Hallmark remake Snow White: The Fairest of Them All starring Kristin Kreuk and Miranda Richardson. Snow White has been one of my favorite fairy tales and I was excited to see this new spin on the story. I was a little skeptical when I found out that the role of Snow White was going to be played by Kristen Stewart (best known for her role as Bella Swan/Cullen in the Twilight Saga), only because she can sometimes seem a bit awkward. But I heart Charlize Theron and I am a fan of Kristen Stewart, so I decided that I would go and see the film when it came out. And I'm glad I did. Snow White and the Huntsman gives a different twist on the story, showing a more aggressive and head strong version of Snow White (which I liked). Kristen was excellent in the role as Snow White and I was so impressed with how she tackled the it (and her accent was pretty good too). And of course, Charlize Theron never disappoints me, I was also kind of cheering for her to win even though I knew in the end she wouldn't. SPOILERS: the only thing that I was a little upset about was the ending. Throughout the film you go wondering who Snow White will marry, the Prince or the Huntsman. When prince William kisses Snow after she eats the poison apple and she doesn't awake, its almost obvious that Eric is going to kiss her later and wake her, which he does. But after the evil queen is killed in the end, they crown Snow White as the new queen of the kingdom without allowing us the clarity on whether she will marry prince William or the Huntsman Eric. I mean... REALLY?!?!?! I think its imminent though that she will get with the huntsman though, but still... I would have liked to know. SPOILERS END. But over all, this was the best Snow White remake since the 2001 remake to me. And I commend Kristen Stewart for trying something new that she actually excelled in (And yes, I'm excluding The Runaways... um... yeah).

That said, Snow White and the Huntsman gets an outstanding: ★★★★★ 5 out of 5 Stars



"Mirror, mirror... on the wall... who is the fairest of them all?"


2 comments:

  1. I did like that Snow White wasn't the damsel that had to be rescued. It didn't bother me too much that they didn't show her marrying the Huntsman, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just feel like that built it up til the end and then didn't even let us know what would come of it. I was a little mad, but not too much :)

    ReplyDelete