Friday, October 22, 2010

The Phantom Of The Opera


© Copyright 2009 of James Pettis, III

The Phantom Of The Opera is based on the novel by Gaston Leroux and also some elements from Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical. I became inquisitive of the Phantom of the Opera in late 2009 when it came to the Fox Theater in St. Louis. I went to see the show and I was blown away. I had decided before I went to go see the show that I wanted to make my own version of Phantom and I did. I would like it to have and all black cast and have an Opera/R&B feel with the music.

Christine Daaé is grieving over her father s he is dying of a terrible sickness. Once he dies, Christine no longer wants to sing with the passion she had before. That is until the Angel of Music (Erik, The Phantom) begins to speak to her in her dressing room and helped her make her voice phenomenal. Once she begins to rise in the opera, the Phantom takes Christine to his home underground and proclaims his love for her. Despite his deformities, Christine still loves him. But as her love for her childhood friend (Raoul) grows, she finds herself caught in a love triangle. Raoul is furious about her fear of Erik and will try at nothing to stop him. Raoul confides in Madame Giry (the opera's ballet instructor) who seems to know an awful lot about Erik's dark past.

I have already completed this story (Yeah!!!!!) and I enjoyed writing it. I even wrote three original songs to coincide with Andrew Lloyd Webber's original music for the story. I would like the music and songs to go in this order [Note: * means they are original songs]:

1. Overture
2. The Jewel Song
3. What a Beauty *
4. The Mirror
5. The Phantom of the Opera
6. The Music of the Night
7. Masquerade
8. Why So Silent?
9. I'm Sorry *
10. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again
11. Don Juan Triumphant
12. Point of No Return
13. Track Down This Murderer Chant
14. Oh, Brother *
15. Ending Song (Reprise of the Music)

I tried my best to stay faithful to Gaston Leroux's original work but also have my own spin on the story including more of a supernatural aspect. Stay tuned for more info about my version of the Phantom of the Opera.

No comments:

Post a Comment